THE CRYSTAL PALACE
An architectural icon in the heart of Prince Edward County
The Crystal Palace in Picton – venue for The Great Canadian Cheese Festival – is one of the few operating Crystal Palaces in the world
The Crystal Palace, built in 1890 by F.T. Wright based on a plan by Andrew Irving, adopted its name from the original Crystal Palace created by Sir Joseph Paxton in 1851 for the Great Exhibition in London England.
Paxton’s design of expansive glass was inspired by his work with greenhouses. Following the Great Exhibition, “Crystal Palaces” sprang up throughout the world including New York City and in Napanee and Kingston.
During the 1980s demolition of the Picton Crystal Palace was considered. The Historical Society prepared a report on the restoration of the building and in 1990 County staff began repairs under the supervision of Bert Blackford. The building re-opened in 1997 and remains one of the few original Crystal Palaces in the world.